Moorngag Cemetery

2406 Samaria Road, Moorngag VIC 3673

Moorngag Cemetery

The Moorngag Cemetery is situated 24 kms from Benalla on the Samaria Road, with a beautiful outlook over the surrounding countryside, a view of Mt. Samaria is in the background. On the 6th May 1884 in the Government Gazette five acres of land being allotment number 48, had been reserved for a cemetery in the parish of Moorngag. The Cemetery reflects the history of the area, with many of the graves belonging to pioneer families of the surrounding districts.

The first burial was of Mr William Henry Coley, in the Church of England Section, Plot number 26, his death occurred on the 7th September 1887. Prior to the postal department establishing a mail run, the inhabitants of Toombullup employed Mr. Coley to carry the mail twice a week.

Since 2000 a number of significant improvements have been made including building the columbarium wall for ashes, new toilets and the restoration of the main entrance. The most recent improvements are the rotunda with its storyboards and amazing mural called "A Bush Burial".

Paths, trees, shrubs and a new lawn section have also been completed. In the rotunda is a rich source of information providing historical records of its pioneers and the development of the cemetery over the years.

The cemetery continues to be managed and maintained by members of the Moorngag Cemetery Trust and acknowledgement is made of their voluntary contribution.

Helen Mitchell is the Secretary of the Moorngag Cemetery Trust and may be reached via mobile 0499 524 455 or by way of the contact form here. Please ensure to choose the correct cemetery from the dropdown options.

Wendy Maxwell is the Manager of the Moorngag Cemetery Website. Wendy can be contacted via the contact form here. Please ensure to choose the correct cemetery from the dropdown options.

View Moorngag Cemetery Map


  • Winton Cemetery

  • 28 Wattlecreek Rd, Winton VIC 3673
  • Telephone: 0427 664271. Email: wintoncemeteryvic@outlook.com
Winton Cemetery

The Winton cemetery together with storyboards and photos in the rotunda is a rich source of information providing an historical record of its pioneers, community and local identities.

The Winton Cemetery was gazetted in June 1878; eight acres of Crown Land being set aside for the purpose. However, the cemetery was in use long before it was gazetted. The first recorded burials were those of two young men who died in 1862. There are at least 20 known burials which occurred prior to 1878, the location of these in the cemetery is not known. In addition to the five main denominational sections an area was specifically allocated in 1952 for Muslim interments.

Many of the graves at Winton belong to family members of the district's pioneers including the Ashmead, Brennan, Brooker, Costello, Freitag, Green, Hernan, Joyce, Lee, Lindsay, Lynch, Nelson, Stafford, Warnock and Weston families.

There are also headstones recognising the deaths in WW1 of Private Allan Lindsay (in Gallipoli), Privates William Henry Gould, brothers James Robert and Clemence Henry Gamble,and Owen McManus who were killed in France in 1917.

Around 2008 improvements to the infrastructure and facilities commenced. Work included a new entrance, enhancement of landscaping and the construction of the rotunda and amenities facility. Another project involved the placement of plaques on 140 known graves that were marked only with a number. A shipping container was installed for the storage of maintenance equipment and on one of the walls there is a magnificent mural of a blue-faced honeyeater which frequents the grevilleas in the cemetery.

The cemetery continues to be managed and maintained by members of the Winton Cemetery Trust and acknowledgement is made of their valuable, voluntary contribution.

For further details please contact: The Secretary, Mrs. Wendy Webster 0427 664271

View Winton Cemetery Map